Skip to main content

DIY Harry Potter Felt Crib Mobile

    "It's a boy!" Those words translated immediately to "Harry Potter Themed Nursery" in my mind. I began scouring Facebook Marketplace that very night, and the very  next day I gathered materials for my first nursery DIY. 

    I had pinned an adorable Harry Potter crib mobile early on in my pregnancy, and was now confident I could make something cute enough to display in his future nursery. First, I ordered a mobile base that I could attach my creation to off of Amazon. Unfortunately, at that time, they didn't have one that played the Harry Potter theme song, so I opted for "You are my sunshine." 

    Next, I decided which characters I wanted on the mobile. I chose Harry, Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore, Hedwig, and Dobby. I gathered all the various color felt sheets I would need. I was lucky enough to have quite a bit on hand, and had a friend who was giving away most of the other colors I needed. I also had a little bit of pillow stuffing I could use to make the characters slightly 3D. From there, I set up my sewing station and started in. 

    I drew out the limbs and faces to try to get the right sizing. 

Dobby Parts

    Once all the little limbs were cut out I tried to decide the best way to sew them together

Trial #1 = Fail


    The first attempt I realized I am not patient enough to make sure the line is aligned to the edge and decided on a different type of stitching. 

Trial #2 = Success!

    After deciding I liked this stitching I sewed all the limbs and heads to be ready for stuffing. All the bodies and accessories were cut out from there and painstakingly pieced together. I made sure to plan everything out so I could add on faces, and stuff each piece before it was sewed shut.

He's coming together!
   
     When all the pieces were finally together I added a little bit of makeup blush to give them a little extra cuteness. 

Dobby is all finished! He even has a sock. 

    The rest of the characters:
Hedwig

Ron

Hermione

Harry

Dumbledore

   A few filler stars were cut out and strung up the characters on the mobile base. I'd suggest that you add knots before and after each added piece unless you want your baby to be able to move them around (speaking from experience). 

    Now that our little wizard is here, and spends time in his crib, he LOVES his mobile. He wants to play with it all the time and smiles and laughs at it every time he is in there and we turn it on. His smile makes it a totally worthy undertaking. 

    Here's the final product (Harry is hiding behind Dumbledore): 

In the completed nursery.

    Check back for more DIY projects and the finished Harry Potter nursery. 

- Lizzy


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY World of Warcraft (For the Horde!) Themed First Birthday Party

Our son turned one this month and we threw him an epic birthday party! Since my husband and I met on World of Warcraft we decided it would be WoW based, and "Four the Horde!" themed (our son's nickname is Four as he is the 4th of his name).      I started by searching for the perfect invitation. I was surprised to find there really was not much by way of WoW themed birthdays on the internet. I was able to find a printable pack from Etsy  here . I used this for the invitation and a start to some decorations.      I enlisted the help of a good friend of mine who is much more well-versed than I am in Photoshop, and he made custom food tents, loosely using the purchased printable, for the foods we would actually be serving. He and I brainstormed food puns and alliterations to make them more special.           Next, I enlisted my husband to 3D print some custom decorations from the game. He printed them and I painted them.  Baby Murloc! Horde treasure chest Ashbringer Doomhamm

DIY Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle

   Several years ago I walked into a secondhand store and fell in love with a GIANT old Victorian dollhouse. I had told myself I would revamp it for a little girl, or turn it into something fun for a little boy. When we found out about our son I decided to transform it into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for his Harry Potter themed nursery.      The dollhouse had been stored in a dear friend's garage for several years, until we had a place to put it. (Thank you Myrna!) My uncle drove it down to our house and it BARELY fit through the doorway. I opted to leave it in our tiled entry for the transformation process. I only had a couple months until the baby came, so I started working on it right away.  Before - the outside fron t   Before - the outside back (those doors have to go!)   I believe that when this dollhouse was constructed it had been specially made to house... cats. It had extra large openings and large carpeted platforms. Before - the inside      My first task

Tablescapes: Summer 2020

      I love to go on Pinterest and look for inspiration for décor. I have a special "Table" board where I save all my dining room ideas. I started to really love the black and white buffalo check look, but wanted to add a pop of color. Originally, I was planning on incorporating lemons and bright yellow, but I decided on greenery instead. I purchased the majority of this tablescape from Amazon. I really like how versatile all the pieces are, and I have already reused them in several other themes.       Here's the final product:     If you are thinking about changing your tablescapes with the season, as I do, but don't know where to start, here are my recommendations:  Find a nice set of plain white/ off white dishes that you plan to use for just decor.  Invest in a couple sets of neutral color chargers. Think black, silver, wood, etc.  Get a set of neutral candle holders and candles. These can be dressed up with different color candles, or with ribbons as I have abov